- Current Research Projects - BC
- Learning Resources for Mental Health & Substance Use
- Issues Workshops
- Job Board ➤
- New Grad Workshop
- Nursing Leadership Programs
- Opportunities for Nursing Researchers
- Professional Development ➤
- RN Certified Practice DSTs & Competencies ➤
- Student Programs ➤
Registered nurses who are certified by the British Columbia College of Nurses and Midwives (BCCNM) are allowed to perform certain restricted activities within their autonomous scope of practice. RN Certified Practice Decision Support Tools (DSTs) set out the activities that are included in the certified practice guidelines provided by BCCNM. Certified Practice areas include RN First Call, Remote Nursing and Reproductive Health.
RN Certified Practice DSTs are regularly reviewed and monitored based on best practices. The information provided is considered current. All certified nurses, RN(C)s, are responsible for following the most current RNCP DSTs.
RN Certified Practice DSTs are not intended to replace the RN(C)'s professional responsibility to exercise independent clinical judgment and use evidence to support competent, ethical care. The RN(C) must consult with or refer to a physician or nurse practitioner as appropriate, or whenever a course of action deviates from the RNCP DST.
Certified Practice Competencies
- Learn more about Certified Practice
- View the NNPBC announcement
- Certified Practice Decision Support Tools Review & Update Process
- DST review policy (coming soon)